To obtain a valid visa to be an au pair in the UK, the TIER 5 points-based system applies, that means that you have to be:
- An EU citizen; or
- A national of a participating country, currently Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and Monaco
- A British overseas citizen
- A British overseas territories citizen
- A British national (overseas)
- You will also need to be aged between 18 and 30 years of age and have sufficient funds to support yourself from when you first enter the United Kingdom until you start earning.
- You may not participate in the youth mobility scheme if you have dependant children or have previously spent time in the United Kingdom as a working holidaymaker.
- You will be expected to leave the United Kingdom when your permission to stay ends.
- You will only be able to come to the United Kingdom on the youth mobility scheme once.
We are yet to be informed by the UK border agency which countries will be participating in the youth mobility scheme.
For the latest information please visit the UK Border Agency site