Nationals from EU countries do not require a visa or work permit for Austria.
Nationals from non-EU countries, require a work permit and must have their employer apply for the permit and receive their permit before the Au pair departs their home country. Austrian families can submit their Au pair"e;s Work Permit application through the AMS. The visa is good for 6 months and may be extended for an additional 6 months.
Au pairs requiring a residence permit/Visa must apply before leaving their country of origin.
Host Family Requirements:
- Must apply to the Job Market Service (AMS- Austrian Employment service) at least two weeks prior to the non EU Au pair" arrival.
- Must provide a written contract. Click for Contract.
- Must prove you have acquired accident and medical insurance for the applicant.
- Will have to provide a written list of ALL duties the au pair will perform.
- Must provide au pair/nanny with their own bedroom and all meals.
- Provide pocket money of 350 EUROS per month.
- Must follow labour laws requirement such as vacation pay and illness pay. See: Austria"e;s House assistant and house employee law (HGHAG)
- Must pay half the cost of au pair"e;s language classes.
Au pair Requirements:
- Must apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) at your local Austrian Embassy or consulate BEFORE traveling to Austria.
- Must be between 18 and 28 years of age.
- Must apply through a registered & authorized employment agency.
- May only au pair/nanny for a maximum of 12 months.
- Must have some German knowledge and provide proof of such knowledge.
- Must not have resided in Austria for more then a total of one year within the last 5 years.
- Provide up to 25 hours of housework and childcare each week.
- Pay for your own travel.
- Enroll in language classes during your stay in Austria.
- Au pair Relations Announcement (AMS FORM).
- Au pair/Family Contract (AMS Form).
- Proof of language studies in the Aupair"s country.
- List of Job duties.
- Proof of accident and medical Insurance.
The labor authorities will issue a confirmation authorizing the employment (Anzeigebestätigung) upon submission of the formal notification request (Anzeige) and a contract of employment (AuPair-Vertrag). Note: The contract will detail general conditions of employment, i.e., for 25 hours of child care per week and some housekeeping duties, au pairs must get lodging, a ATS 800-per-week minimum stipend and some access to educational opportunities.
The Austrian residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) can only be applied for and obtained outside of Austria at an Austrian Embassy or Consulate by submitting proper forms to the labor office confirmation. The permit is valid for a maximum of 12 months and renewal after 6 months is mandatory.
Austria visa home page
Austria currently has a Youth Workers Exchange Program available to Canadian graduates aged between 18 and 30. The program is called Swap